Table of contents:-
- What is a Project Manager?
- What does a Project Manager do?
- What qualities should a Project Manager have?
What is a Project Manager?
A Project Manager plays the lead role in the execution of a project.
He is responsible for the planning, monitoring, and tracking of the project from start to finish.
They are accountable for the scope of the project, team, work, resources, and success or failure of the project.
What does a project manager do?
Any project can be divided into five phases. It is the responsibility of the project manager to make sure that every phase of the project goes smoothly.
They should have first-hand experience and well-equipped with skills to deliver results associated with their jobs and responsibilities. A project manager should have the temperament to manage these five phases correctly.
- Initiation phase
After a project has been deemed feasible, a project manager should prepare a Project Initiation Document (PID) outlining the project charter, its requirements, and the stakeholders involved.
- Planning phase
During the phase the project manager must develop an outline of the project and how would their team go about it. The manager should determine the resources needed for the project, the risks involved and should be able to roughly estimate the duration of the project
- Executing phase
While the project is going on, the project manager should always have an idea of the quality of work in the project and ensure that there is always enough communication between all the teams.
During this phase, he should also keep in touch with the stakeholders to understand their expectations from the project and make sure that everything goes accordingly.
- Monitoring phase
The monitoring phase can be assumed to occur side-by-side to the execution phase.
The project manager must regularly validate and check for the project scope. They should have control over things and make any changes that they deem fit.
During this phase, they should ensure that the resources involved in the project are not being wasted but used judicially.
- Closing phase
The project must be completed and handed over within the stipulated time limits.
After the project has finished, a project manager should have a meeting to analyze the good as well as the bad points about the execution of the project.
This analysis could help them in the future and could also be useful if the project gets handed over to a different team now.
What qualities should a Project Manager have?
A Project Manager must have:
- Good leadership skills: A Project Manager should guide their team efficiently from the start to finish of the project and must ensure flawless execution of the entire project roadmap.
- Patience: A project manager must recognize that patience enables them to take stock of the situation, understand it fully, and only then take whatever action they feel is appropriate.
- Effective communication skills: Good project management requires clear and competent communication with the team members about their roles and responsibilities in a project. They must be made very clear about the expectations their manager has from them.
- Good decision-making abilities: A project manager must be able to make tough decisions with utmost maturity. There could be times in the project where they would be required to choose between two options. The manager should be able to make the right call in the best interest of the project.
- Inspiring: A project manager must always inspire their teammates to do good and honest work.
- Team-building skills: Any team first starts as just a group of strangers. It is the job of the project manager to make that team gel together as one unit. A manager should be able to keep the team spirit up.
- Calm and composed under pressure: A good project manager must never be intimidated by the magnitude of the situation.
They should back their decisions and continue to work on them despite facing obstacles on the way.
- Good negotiation skills: An efficient Project Manager must have the ability to negotiate.
There may be times of conflict during the project due to a difference of opinion. It is the job of the project manager to sit with both parties and settle the issue between them and negotiate what’s best for the project.
- Delegation skills: The project manager should be able to recognize the skills of their team members and should delegate tasks to them accordingly. This is essential for a project as it ensures that the best man for a job is always on it.
- Integrity: The project manager’s actions set an example for the other team members. They themselves should be honest, loyal, and committed to the project. They should be the ones to set the ethical standards for the team to follow.
Q: What is a Project?
A: A project is a series of tasks aimed at achieving a particular goal. Usually, a project has a fixed budget and timeline and is relatively short-term.
Q: How much does a Project Manager make?
A: Project Managers get paid around $110,000 in the USA, which is one of the highest around the globe.
Q: What are the 5 stages of Project Management?
A: The five stages of Project Management are initiation, planning, execution, monitoring, and closure.